Flood Hazard Information
Floods are typically caused by melting snow, ice jams, heavy spring rains and summer thunderstorms. Flash flooding is caused by violent rain storms or breaking dams — often occurring with little or no warning.
For more information on flooding and your safety, visit the Flood Forecasting and Warning Program page by clicking on the picture above.
If you are instructed by emergency officials to evacuate, do so immediately.
If you are indoors:
- Move essential items (and household chemicals) to an upper floor
- Disconnect electrical appliances — don’t touch electrical equipment if you’re wet or standing in water
- Bring in outdoor furniture (if you have time)
- Don’t eat food that’s come in contact with flood waters
If you are outdoors:
- Move to higher ground if there is a chance of a flash flood
- Don't walk through moving water — you may fall
- If you have to walk — look for where the water is not moving and use a stick to check the ground in front of you
- Keep children away from flood water
- Don’t drive through floodwaters
Insight from recent emergencies has shown that while many are prepared for emergencies, some among us may not have the support or capacity to deal with emergencies due to physical challenges, language barriers, etc.
Visit www.ontario.ca/emo to find the Emergency Preparedness Action Plan tool which enables users to build a customized emergency plan tailored to their family’s specific needs. Also how to build a survival kit and what to keep in it. Additionally, you are encouraged to sign up for the public alerting subscription services, so you can receive emergency notifications and preparedness messaging before and during an emergency.
Learn about different emergencies and how to be prepared.
Emergency Plan (2013) & Appendix 1
Farm Emergency Plan - template
Grey Bruce Huron - Be Prepared Guide
Maitland Valley Watershed Conditions Information
For more information on Emergency Management in Ontario, please visit:
County of Huron Emergency Management
Emergency Management Ontario
All Fire Services, Emergency Management Information including the Emergency Plan, will be provided in an accessible format upon request. If you require information provided in an alternate format please contact the Clerk.